Girraween National Park 2018

Have you ever pushed yourself so hard physically that you can feel your jugular jump out of your neck. That all you can hear is the sound of your heart pumping not in your chest but right there in your ears! Today I hit 186bpm forcing myself to push harder and faster on the way up the slick granite face of the Pyramids in Girraween National Park.

A quick 2.5hr drive South West from my home in Raceview had me pulling into the carpark at the Ranger station. Greeted by the friendliest and most helpful ranger I have met to date, I decided on the sights to see and where I was staying for the night.

First up was the Northern Loop:


The Pyramids (1 and 2) are super popular as they are only 1.8km from the main camp areas. As this story started these are not for the faint of heart. Pyramid 1 has a trail marked with white paint strips leading to the summit. *Make sure you try and topple the balancing rock on the top.*



To climb pyramid 2 you have to slide on your arse off the edge of #1 and disappear into the scrub. Pyramid 2 is a far harder summit and NPS personnel recommend that only experienced rock climber tackle the task. Ofcourse this didn't stop me! The views from pyramid 1 are far better.


If you choose to follow in my awesome footsteps you can link Granite Arch to your trail on the way to The Junction. If anything Granite Arch is a worth addition if only for the photo op. 


Roughly 2.7km further along the trail following the signs to The Junction you will get the chance to cool off after your morning efforts. The Junction is aptly named as it's the point where Bald Rock Creek links with Ramsay Creek.


 I was lucky and the water was still flowing keeping the temps of the rockholes nice and cool. I thought about nuding up to cool off but the amount of people around gave me a little stage fright.


After a snack and a swim the same trail leads back to the carpark and camping area. I refilled my water and took off on the Southern Loop.

The Southern Loop would bring me back to the carpark and the end of my trip but not before I saw:


The famed rock formation the Sphinx! On the way to see the Sphinx and Turtle Rock you get to pass between some giant boulders forming an impressive boulder field. The impressiveness continues as you reach the Sphinx. Do your research if you don't know what the original Sphinx is but this rock formation does have a very uncanny similarity.

Just past the Sphinx is Turtle Rock, shaped just like a turtle shell. I didn't get the best views of turtle rock and the setting sun put me on a timeline. We also know "DONT ROCKCLIMB ALONE!!" So cooler heads prevailed. Following the trail back to the main trail junction point 550m futher would start the climb up Castle Rock. 

 Castle Rock is a must do. The views make the sweat you poured out climbing The Pyramid seem a real waste. 360 degree views of the national park make this a perfect vantage point to catch the sunset. Just as I was leaving three blokes rocked up with their cameras for what would have been a spectacular sight. Hinted at by the already beautiful lowering sun.

I couldn't wait to see the sunset as I knew I a futher 7+Km till I reached the bush campsite. Back on the trail crossing granite slabs varying from easy to moderate gradients, once again had my heart rate up. I called it quits at 6pm leaving me roughly three quarters of the way up Mount Norman. I found a nice flat spot between two boulders and quickly set my tent up so I could cook and catch the last of the sunset.


Another beautiful sunset surrounded by the sights, sounds and scents of nature.. mixed with my B O.


Laying in my tent writing this blog I basked in the starlight. The stars perfectly framed by the boulders was the last thing I saw before drifting off to sleep.


The sound of a kookaburras laughter woke me up just as the sun broke the horizon. A healthy hikers breakfast of porridge and granola with a sneaky coffee was all the fuel required to get camp packed up and back on the trail. Starting off with the last of the ascent to Mount Norman had me moister than an oyster but this is by far the most beautiful part of the park. 


Giant boulders guard the path to the base of the main monolith. Before you attempt the climb, head around to the left of the main formation and check out "The Eye of the Needle". I spent 5 mins climbing up for a sweet photo before realising how high I was and shitting myself. Not literally but I took a good 15mins climbing down with my blood pressure through the roof.


I didn't attempt the summit on my own but plan on coming back and giving it a crack with a few mates. I spent a bit of time checking out the other rocks around the base before following the path across giant slabs of granite towards Underground Creek.


The weather was perfect walking along the fire trail under the shade of giant eucalypts. Native birds like Rosellas and Lyre birds could be seen everywhere. Just off the path along a ridgeline you will find the hidden gem Aztec Temple. Take the time to explore this area. Untouched and forgotten this place will leave you in awe.

Completing the circuit by joining onto the Underground Creek track leads past another great rock formation. The creek carved it's way down the granite face forming ravines and rock pools.


Along the same trail if you double back you can stop in for a swim at Dr Roberts Waterhole. It's a very popular spot but be careful of the razor grass on the edges.


Cooked in the sun like an egg on the bitumen I travelled 5km down the main road back the the Ranger station and into the air con of my Ute.

I only managed to see the main "touristy" areas of the park and can't wait to go back and check out the off trail attractions! Totally worth the drive so get out there, explore and go on an adventure.

See you on the trail - Gaff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moreton Island Hike Jan 2018

Hardings Paddock - Goolman Lookout

Walls of Jerusalem 2018