Flinders Peak Poem

Out on the road towards Flinders Peak,
The trees start to stir as the mountain does speak.
It calls those who are near and its voice reaches far,
"Travel to me on foot or by car"

The highest point in the Teviot Range,
It looks like a beacon when the lights start change.
High in the distance, majestic up close
My mission to climb you it fuels me the most.

My pack all set up with water and beer,
Out on the trail my mind starts to clear.
As I breathe in the scent of the grand Aussie bush,
My legs start to burn, you demand me to push.

Scurrying up the dusty, thin trail
I'm going to beat you, I know I won't fail.
I pass by a cross hidden alone,
Then I get to the rocks my minds in the zone.

Sweat pouring out I have a quick break
And soak in the vistas of this great sun kissed state.
Then faster I move and higher I go
Im promised a beer at the summit I know.

Out of the trees I spy little white shacks,
I run up the stairs and drop off my pack.
Perched high on a rock my hike is complete,
I savour this feeling as I dangle my feet.

Theres one final task, a promise to keep,
I carried a cold one up this mountain so steep.
I now spare a moment with a beer in my hand,
And toast to the beauty of this southern land.

Jake McGaffin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moreton Island Hike Jan 2018

Hardings Paddock - Goolman Lookout

Walls of Jerusalem 2018